XENIA — Local residents can discover their volunteer niche with Greene County Parks & Trails through a myriad of opportunities ranging from working within a park, youth programs, special events, on the trails, in the office and so much more, says the agency’s director.
“We have a strong base of wonderful volunteers who we rely on every day to offer the amount of programming and services we do to all residents,” said Greene County Parks & Trails Director Chrisbell Bednar. “Ranging from high school students to retirees and all ages in between, volunteers are an integral part of our operation.”
Volunteers can offer their services in a variety of ways and locations, Bednar adds, which includes giving of time and talent as:
- Greene County Parks & Trails Sentinels- routinely patrol the 62 miles of trails in Greene County to serve as ambassadors, offer information to visitors, conduct bike rodeos, assist with emergencies, as well as volunteering with trail fundraising events such as the Greene Trails Cycling Classic;
- Volunteer Naturalist-assist naturalist staff with programming and special events after completing series of classes on a variety of outdoor topics;
- Land Management-assist park staff with removal of honeysuckle and other non-native invasive plants as well as other land maintenance projects;
- Youth Programs-work with staff naturalists and other personnel in programs in a park setting or nature center for local children;
- Friends of Scout Dog Park- work with raising funds for the only public dog park in Greene County by volunteering with the annual Doggie Dash ‘N Splash, Howl-O-Ween Dog Pawty and other dog-related events;
- Office and Clerical-assist within the agency headquarters with a variety of vital administrative duties to support the park agency;
- Greene Trails Cycling Classic-work on-site or behind the scenes staffing a rest stop, assisting with evening meals or breakfast or registration at this annual fundraiser for the region’s multi-use paved trails; or
- Special Events-assist at a variety of special events ranging from a pancake breakfast to historical programs to the annual holiday Santa in the Park program.
For more information about Greene County Parks & Trails or volunteering within the agency call 937-562-6440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org/parks.