July 22, 2014
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE – Civilian employees at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base have until Aug. 1 to notify officials if they plan to retire or leave with incentives ahead of hundreds of layoffs this fall.
The Air Force says it will save $1.6 billion by eliminating more than 3,400 jobs throughout the service. Approved employees must retire or separate on Sept. 30.
As part of the Air Force Management Headquarters Review, a broad range of reductions were announced last week including 372 position cuts in Air Force Materiel Command here and prompting implementation of these voluntary measures.
Base officials are seeking to offset those cuts through the Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA) and Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay (VSIP) programs.
“Wright-Patterson will exhaust every voluntary measure at our disposal to avoid any adverse impacts,” said Col. John Devillier, 88th Air Base Wing commander. “We want to do all that we can to take care of our Airmen.”
The cuts resulted from a comprehensive effort to reduce overhead costs, increase efficiencies, eliminate redundant activities, improve effectiveness and business processes and will help meet the Department of Defense’s directive to reduce costs and staff levels by at least 20 percent.
Eligible employees must be at least 50-years-old with at least 20 years federal service or employees of any age with at least 25 years of federal employment.
After all the applications are received, base officials will begin the process of reviewing each application. Anyone approved for the programs will receive written notification that will include the amount of monetary incentive. Personnel officials advise that employees should not take premature actions that are irrevocable or incur financial obligations prior to receiving a firm incentive offer.
WDTN contributed to this story.